Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

The Reluctant Revolutionary.

If I get to choose how history remembers me, I would rather it be for something fun, like a game designer of the caliber of Gary Gygax or Richard Garfield. Or maybe as an author of a science fiction or fantasy novel (yes, I actually wrote one, once), like Robert Heinlein, or Carol Berg. But I’m really going to be quite content just being remembered by my family as a loving husband, father, grandfather, etc. I need no other recognition in history.

I say this, because it is important to me that people understand that it is not out of a need to be noticed that I’ve been writing my essays recently. The message I write is what is important, not the man behind the message. America is at a crossroads, and it is time for the common man to realize what is important, what built this great country, and stand up for what is right and just.

I am a common man.

I am simply standing up for what I believe is right and just.

Were a revolution to happen tomorrow, I would prefer to be remembered for my role in it as Peter Van Dusen is remembered for his role in the American Revolution back in the 1770s. Who was Peter Van Dusen, you ask? I don’t know. It’s very likely you don’t either, unless perhaps you’re one of his ancestors. And that’s exactly the point. His was a name I pulled off the first census in 1790. A little research on his name turns up a number of modern Peter Van Dusens, and a couple of genealogical links. And nothing more – he may have participated in the Revolutionary War, but that is not what he is known for.

So I would prefer to be a Peter Van Dusen than a Thomas Jefferson or Benjamin Franklin. I have no desire to incite a revolution. But like Jefferson and Franklin, I am frustrated by what is going on around me with our government and my fellow citizens, and I feel it is time to speak up.

I am, so to speak, a reluctant revolutionary. You should be, too.

It feels like I am a lone voice in the wilderness. But I know I am not. I know that among my friends, family, acquaintances and neighbors are many who feel the same as I do, who have similar critical thinking skills, and have reached many of the same conclusions. We are at a time of crisis in America, and it is time for cooler heads and common sense to prevail.

Unfortunately, common sense and cooler heads aren’t all that common in America these days. We can’t stand silent, and expect things to get any better. I can stand here and shout, but my voice can only carry so far. America needs us to stand up and cry out together, to speak up, even though we have not yet been affected by what tyrannies may or may not be to come.
Alone, we are single voices. Together, amassed, we are a mighty chorus. My single vote means no more than yours does. That's why some think a single vote is unimportant, that individual votes don't matter. But a single vote is no more unimportant to the future of our cities, states and country than a single penny is to making a purchase. When making a purchase, every penny counts, even if the source of those pennies doesn't matter, because being even one penny short can prevent the sale. Likewise in an election – every vote counts. My vote – or yours – could be the one that tips an election.

We must cry out, we must group our votes together, and do something about the state of the nation.

We cannot do this by continuing to vote in the people who currently represent us. We cannot do this by concentrating on the top executives. We've been doing that too long. It is time to focus on the smaller elections, the ones that we as individuals have a better chance of influencing. It is time to start concentrating on getting the representation we want in the State legislatures, and in the US Congress.

Furthermore, I believe we should stop voting for those who want to represent us so badly they're willing to spend tens of thousands, even millions of dollars to run for office. One thing I learned over the years, is that those who seek to lead are often the worst of leaders. People who are thrust into leadership roles unwillingly often tend to be better leaders overall. People who seek leadership often wish to control others, while people who reluctantly accept leadership roles often do not – they merely accept the responsibility and move forward while trying to do the best job they can.

Look around you for that guy or gal you know is a good leader, and convince them to run for office. The more they resist, the better they will probably be for the job. If you don't have a friend like that, look for the smaller third party candidates. Most of them don't really believe they will win, and knowing that, they probably don't have an overwhelming desire to lead. If they did, they would likely be seeking parties or elections where they have a better chance of leading – like an HOA, or city council. But the ones we want leading us are the ones who don't want to control us.

If you're reading this, you're probably a common man (or woman), like me. Step up, raise your voice, and become a reluctant revolutionary.

And look for the reluctant leaders among us. We need them now more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment